Saturday, December 31, 2005

The happy life

Augustine on the relationship of love and the happy life:
A man is not happy if he does not have what he loves; or if he has what he loves and it is hurtful; or if he does not love what he has, even though it is perfectly good. The happy life is when that which is man's chief good is both loved and possessed.
This is simple to understand and yet so profound. How hard is it for us to live according to this truth! How often do I love what is hurtful! How often do I not love Him whom I have, even though He is perfect! Yet in spite of all my shortcomings, the gospel reminds me daily that man's greatest good, namely God Himself, has been given freely and unconditionally through Christ for me to have and love and enjoy.

The key to a happy life in 2006 is this:"You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home